Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Cost of A Game

IT'S A LOT MORE THEN IT USED TO BE!
I'm not just talking about graphics or technology. I'm talking about the Marketing behind it all. Back in the N64 days all you had were a few commercials and magazines for the hype. 

Now you have Special Pre-Order packages, Big budget websites, online communities, and more recently...

Live Action Series!

I've seen this with two upcoming games so far; Hawken and Far Cry 3. The budget is MASSIVE, hiring actors, directors, building sets (or traveling to sets), makeup artists, props, the list goes on and on. 

Hawken is going to be an intense live-action mech battle, while Far Cry 3 is going to be more focused on surviving an island full of Psychopaths. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the next GTA 5 trailer (which is scheduled for 11/14/12) would consist of a teaser for a Live Action Series. 

THE WEBSITES

Have been SO much more complex over the years, not only do you have millions of players logging on, but you have to manage the stat uploads/game progression, heatmaps, interactive features, the community, not to mention the customizeable player profiles; that's a lot to manage.

Not to mention all of the people who are working behind closed doors to keep the network live, site live, fixing site bugs, on top of that you have animators, programmers, etc. working on the DLC content.

Quite awhile ago I heard that each game takes AT LEAST $1 MILLION to make! That's a pretty big hit if the game sells way worse then expected.


********NEW POSTS EVERY WEDNESDAY @ 12 PM (PST)/ 3 PM (EST)*******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are greatly appreciated, they help me give content that YOU want! I always personally respond to comments, I will only show negative comments if it is a disagreement. I see disagreements as a way to get people involved. I would love to interact with you. Please follow the blog if you would like. Thanks for taking the time to stop by!